Friday, July 22, 2011

Appointment with Mister Crabs - Dry Curry Crab Recipe

It's been a long time since I had an appointment with crabs

Slept quite late last night as usual and when my housemate woke me up this morning to go to the market I was quite reluctant as I still need more sleep. It is never enough for me as I just love to sleep whenever I can. Then she mentioned " Want to eat crabs for lunch", hearing that I quickly went to the bathroom and forgotten about how I loved to sleep. After shower and changed to something simple, we went to Stutong Market to hunt for crabs.

When I saw an aquarium filled with many alive crabs, my heart jumped with joy and we actually bought RM30.00 worth of crabs @ Rm26.00 per kilo. We bought three crabs all together. I asked Constance if the crabs will suffercate when they are left in the car, she just smiled. Had curry laksa at one of the stalls opposite the market. I told myself that would be the final time I am going to have that for breakfast again. The taste of the curry laksa used to be okay but now seems to be not like as it was before. Anyway, forget about the taste, lets get back to the crabs.

After we reached home, we cleaned the crabs with sponge and brush to get rid of the mud sticking to the crabs and prepared the ingredients.

Below are some pictures of how the crabs are prepared to be cooked:

Happy viewing








The crabs are cooked - Dry curry crabs - Let's have lunch together.

(I took one hour to finish my share of crab. It was messy when I was eating the crabs just now but I had a real satisfying meal) Can't wait to have that for lunch or dinner again. Yummy, yummy crabs. A plate of rice is not enough when you have appointment with Mister Crabs.

Dry Curry Crab Recipe:
    • 2 large mud crabs
    • Enough oil for deep-frying
    • 2 tbsp dried prawns, soaked and coarsely chopped
    • 1 tbsp chopped garlic
    • 2 tbsp meat curry powder
    • ½ tsp chilli powder
    • ½ tsp turmeric powder
    • 3 stalks curry leaves
    • 1 onion, cut into halve and sliced

    Seasoning

    • ½-¾ tsp salt or to taste
    • ½ tsp sugar
    • 1 tsp fish sauce
    • 150ml water
Method:

    Mix the curry, chilli and turmeric powders together with enough water to form a paste. Clean crabs, then remove and crack the pincers and trim the legs. Cut each crab into 4 pieces.

    Heat oil in a wok and deep-fry crabs until just cooked through. Dish out and leave aside.

    Leave 3 tablespoon oil in the wok, fry garlic and dried prawns until fragrant. Add curry paste and curry leaves. Fry until aromatic.

    Return crabs to the wok and add seasoning. Stir-fry briskly. Add onions and cover the wok. Cook until gravy is reduced and the dish is almost dry. Dish out and serve.

Special thanks/credits to/source (for the curry crab recipe): http://kuali.com/recipes/

0 comments :

Post a Comment